The COVIDSafe app for contact tracing is now available – here’s what you need to know.
Over 5 million Australian have downloaded the contact tracing app which is available to download on the Apple App Store and Google Play.
The app uses Bluetooth technology to recognise other nearby devices that have the app installed, recording the date, time, distance and duration of the contact.
This information is then used to identify and trace those who have been in close contact with you, in the event that someone is identified as positive with COVID-19.
Individual data is only transferred from the app if permission is provided to transfer this data in the event that a person is diagnosed with COVID-19. The process requires health officials to seek your permission for this and the data can only be used for the stated purpose.
The more people who download and use the app, the better it will work by making it easier to track the virus spread.
The app is voluntary and can be deleted at any time. There is no obligation to download the app.
- The app does not track your location.
- Any data is deleted after 21 days.
- Each person is assigned a unique identifier that will only reside on your phone which can only be accessed with your permission by health officials.
- It needs to be running in the background and Bluetooth will need to be on for the duration of when you are not at home.
- If you are close to a person who doesn’t have the app it will not register them.
- The app does not need a connection to the cellular network or internet.
Read this article COVIDSafe app – making an informed decision for more information or visit the government’s COVIDSafe page.